Friday 19 October 2007

R.I.P.

My lovely MIL joined her husband today on their anniversary date. Her three sons, her daughter and myself sat with her at the hospice to guide her on her journey. I have never been at a hospice before, but it far beats a hospital room. It is not as sterile looking as a hospital room and focuses on the feelings and needs of the boarder and their family. A really nice experience in troubling times. They extend
family privileges of a small lounge and a kitchen area to prepare coffee and tea or
have juice. They allow you to stay if you want to with cots or a hide-a-bed in the family room. They do everything to make this uncertain stay, as comfortable as they
can and for that we thank them profusely. My MIL was quite happy with her stay and
they kept her abreast of her changes and why she was going through things. She seemed quite content with their explanations and was acceptable to her circumstances.
She was at ease and that was the whole purpose of our concern for her. We will miss her.

2 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Norma,

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. I am so happy though that she was at peace and with her family. I grandfather was in a hospice and I agree it is so much nicer than a hospital. And the staff go out of their way to make the family feel comfortable too.

My thought are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.. :( She's at peace now. ((hugs))